The Examples Window includes a database of six molecules displayed in three-dimensional dynamic format. Molecules are classified according to their symmetry point groups. Buttons on the left enable users to display the symmetry elements that correspond to each molecule. The database also includes chemical information about each molecule.
System requirements for using the Molecular Symmetry Painter
1. Browser: Internet Explorer version 7.0 or above
2. Java JRE 5.0: Needed to view molecules in three-dimensions. To download and install update 5 of the J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0, click here.
3. Flash Player: Browser plugin that enables presentation of interactive animations. To download the Flash Player, click here.
Components of the Examples Window
- Molecule Display Window: a black rectangular window in the middle of the screen on which the molecules are displayed. Click the right mouse button to open the Jmol menu. See the Jmol help page for details.
- Point Group Buttons: the buttons to the right of the molecule display window allow for navigation between various symmetry point groups.
- Molecule Formula Label: appears at the upper left-hand side of the molecule display window and indicates the chemical formula of the displayed molecule. Click the molecule label to open a window presenting chemical information about the molecule.
- Symmetry Display Buttons: appear to the left of the molecule display window. The name of a symmetry element in the molecule is specified on each of the buttons. Click these buttons to display the selected symmetry element for the molecule in the window. Click the buttons again to hide the symmetry elements.
- Animation Button: this button appears under the symmetry display buttons for some of the molecules. The name of the symmetry operation in the molecule is specified on the button. Click the button to open a new window with an animated demonstration of the specified symmetry operation.
- Homepage Button: appears at the top of the Examples Window. Click to open the homepage of the site in a separate window.
- Help Button: appears at the top of the Examples Window. Click to open the Help window.